Become a certified USSF Referee and get paid!!!
If you are 12 years old or above you can referee youth soccer games! West Houston is recruiting for referees for HYSA games and the new Dynamo/Dash League.
South Texas Soccer Referees, Inc. (STSR) conducts referee clinics for all levels. If you attend a clinic you will be certified as a USSF (United States Soccer Federation) Referee.
Click Here for available clinics.
The STSR Website has a lot of good resources. Click Here to go to the STSR website.
How do I become a referee?
Some important points
- While some previous playing, coaching or officiating experience is always helpful, no experience is required to become a soccer referee.
- There are no age requirements for the entry level Grades. There are age restrictions for advanced grades.
To become a certified referee, there are a few easy steps everyone must go through:
- You must attend a mandatory classroom training session. These "Entry Level Clinics" are offered in many locations around the state each year, most often during August-October and again January - March.
- There are two entry points to becoming a referee:
- Recreational Referee - Grade 9 – Recreational Youth Referee
- Referee - Grade 8 - Youth Game Referee
- At the conclusion of the instructional classes a written examination will be given to all who have completed the course.
- A clinic fee is charged for taking the clinic. It is $30.00 . At the same time a USSF Registration fee of $50.00 is also charged.
- Once you successfully completed the course and examination, you are registered through STSR with U.S. Soccer.
- Once you are registered, contact your local assignors to get games. An Assignors and Soccer Associations directory can be found by signing into your STSR (South Texas Soccer Referees, Inc.) account and clicking on "Assignor Directory" in the Member Services box at the top of your home page.